Volunteer with SLC Sanctuary
We need your help.
The SLC Sanctuary Network is run entirely by volunteers. Our fight to prevent the senseless deportation of Utah families is only possible because of hundreds of people acting in solidarity. A house of worship or other facility deemed a “Sanctuary” can only offer meaningful refuge and safety with the public’s full attention and vibrant participation.
If you are passionate about keeping families together, we welcome your time and talents.
Hosting Sanctuary guests requires a 24/7 volunteer presence. Thus, our most significant need is for volunteer hosts – those who can provide witness & presence at a Sanctuary facility for a shift. Here’s what you need to know:
- A host’s primary responsibility is to ensure the safety of our guests, while respecting their autonomy.
- Hosts set their own schedule! Using a smartphone app, sign up for shifts that are four to five hours or sleep overnight for up to 11 hours.
- Hosts’ tasks may include managing access to the Sanctuary building and supporting Sanctuary guests in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
- All Hosts receive thorough training.
5 things you can do right now
- Sign up to volunteer at a Salt Lake City Sanctuary right here on this page.
- Open up more Sanctuaries! Talk to your faith community about becoming a Sanctuary space. We will help!
- Recruit your social circles, your co-workers, and your political organizations to support Sanctuary and to become volunteers.
- Join the local Movement! Reach out to one of the many religious and civic organizations and get involved.
- Donate to the legal defense funds for people in Sanctuary, contribute to the Sanctuary funds of the faith communities hosting people, and support the operating budget of the SLC Sanctuary Network.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can anybody become a Sanctuary volunteer?
- You must be 18 years of age or older, or be accompanied by a volunteer who is 18 years of age.
- You must be willing to receive training.
- If your volunteer work consists of actively staffing Sanctuary, you should pass a background check as a child abuse prevention measure (we only check for issues related to child safety).
- And above all, you must be in solidarity with people facing deportation